Sunday, November 2, 2008

Media black out before elections?

With the election less then 48 hours away, I was talking to my new Turkish friend. This is his first American election and he is very interested. He told me that in his country there is a media black out for the 48 hours before the poles close. This means no reporting on the election at all in these final hours. This includes speaks by the candidates and all advertisements as well. For the Turkish people this serves as a quiet time to reflect and make final decisions on who to vote for.

I explained to my new friend that the media will be at its highest point when it comes time to vote. Also I explained the idea of exit poling and the way the media tries to predict the outcomes, (maybe not as much since 2000.) He informs me that none of this is allowed in Turkey either.

Would this kind of system work in America? I tend to think it would be a nice change. The election has been going on now for more then two years, and a bit of a break before the vote would be very welcomed by many. The fact is though that the American media would not be ready for such a law. They capitalize on elections and rake in good money reporting on the elections. Also those politics buffs in America do clink to this coverage and may not be so willing to give it up.

It may not be feasible but it is sure interesting to think about what it would be like to now have a quiet media for these last few days.

-Stefanie DeSantis

No comments: